When I realized that I wouldn't be able to afford the trip home for Thanksgiving, I was a tad upset. However, when I got the news that one of my best friends from college would be here visiting her family, and invited me to join, I felt better. But when we decided to attend the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade, I knew it would be worth the sacrifice!
All the locals here will tell you to avoid the parade, just like they say to avoid the lighting of the Christmas tree (which I will be attending tomorrow night) and New Years Eve in Times Square (which I did two years ago). What's the point of living in this city if you don't partake in the holiday shinanigans, I always say. Gina and I also went to the inflation celebration on Thanksgiving Eve, which takes place at the Natural History museum on Central Park West and 79th.
The parade was much better, in my opinion, because the floats were all bolted down the night before and the crowd was worse. We got a great spot at the parade, right on the street, thanks to a lady from Georgia who muscled her way to the front as we trailed behind her. We had front row seats to see Kanye West (everyone was yelling Taylor Swift!), Jessica Simpson (conveniently placed behind the Pillsbury Doughboy, which I thought was a bit cruel), Joan Rivers, Gladys Knight, and some guy who may or may not have been a Jonas.
Thanksgiving dinner with Gina's family took place in Stratford, Connecticut. The food was amazing, and the game of spades was entertaining. We did some black Friday shopping at Target the next day, and then I came back to the city to have dinner with the Brewers. I have never seen so much food in this apartment, and I must say that I loved having it here. A stocked refrigerator just makes you feel like you are home. I was lucky enough this year to get two amazing Thanksgiving meals with some fabulous people!
The next morning, we all went to see the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes. After it was over, I ran some errands and came back home to take a nap. I was siked about dinner and the Georgia game that evening. So siked, in fact, that I proceeded to throw up all over myself and Mrs. Brewer as we were exiting our elevator on the way to dinner. Three times to be exact. Needless to say, I had sprite for dinner and was in bed by 8.
Today I went to get lunch with a coworker, and was fondly reminded of an infamous Seinfeld episode. We went to this place called Ashbys, where I excitedly got in the line for soup. The gentleman taking orders was basically yelling at each person in line as they approached, so I had to be prepared. There were around 20 different options, so I got nervous and just yelled out the first thing that came to mind..."Chicken Noodle!". I then stepped aside quickly, just like the compliant patron that I am. The sandwich guy was even worse. When I requested a grilled cheese panini to go with my soup, he shouted "No panini today (for you)!"
No comments:
Post a Comment