Sunday, August 7, 2011

29 is fine!

This weekend marks the last of a series of four weekends where I have been privileged enough to have out of town guests, and I must say that I am exhausted.  It has been so great to see everyone, and experience New York with some dear friends for the first time.  It's like my two worlds have collided, and I just wish we all lived closer so we could have many more of these memorable times together.  I know that me (and my credit card) are looking forward to a few dull nights ahead, of staying in and working on dwindling down the DVR, that is currently full.  Some of the highlights for me have been the Alexander McQueen exhibit with Jill at the MET (2 hour wait-worth it!), the second trip to Maine with Sophia (shopping!) and seeing Aretha Franklin for free at Coney Island with Laura (solid!).

I must tell you about my birthday week.  It all started with a Stone Temple Pilots concert on the Williamsburg Waterfront on Monday night.  My friend from work and I jetted over to Brooklyn right after we got off, and decided to grab a quick bite to eat before heading to the venue.  Williamsburg has so much to offer in regards to culture, art and food.  It is regularly referred to as the "hipster" neighborhood in Brooklyn.  Luckily, we found a pizza place as soon as it started raining and headed in for a slice.  I would be doing you a disservice if I did not mention a staple in all New York pizza places, affectionately known as the "garlic knot."  I actually had my first knot two months ago while eating lunch with some people after church, and have now made them a necessary addition to any pizza that I order.  They are essentially balls of pizza dough, rolled in butter and garlic, and baked to perfection.  This particular pizza place had the best knots I have had to date.  My friend has grown up in this city, and is Italian, and would rate them the same.  If I ever get married, I am seriously considering having a pile of garlic knots instead of a cake.  The next time you come to NYC, you must partake!

Following dinner, we headed down to the venue with much apprehension since the rain seemed to be set in for the evening.  However, once we got down to the east river where the stage was set up, the rain stopped and it ended up being about 75 degrees.  This was a much needed, and appreciated break from the border line 100 degree weather we had been having.  The weather couldn't have been better, the band was absolutely amazing (and reminiscent of my high school days), but the best part was the view.  As they played, you could see the entire sky line of Manhattan with a breathtaking sunset outlining it.  It was such a great night, and kick off to an even better week.

Tuesday night I attended a birthday party thrown for me by my coworkers, old and new.  About fifteen people came, and stayed for hours!  The entire restaurant sang happy birthday to me as they brought the best chocolate cake out that I have ever had.  It was so great catching up with those who have moved on, and it truly warmed my heart that they were all there (and that some had come from an hour and a half away).  I left feeling really lucky to have made such meaningful relationships in such a short time.

Wednesday was my actual birthday, and I wouldn't have changed anything about it.  Not only was I excited to see all the facebook wishes, texts, calls and cards, but my wonderful father sent my flowers and my coworkers flooded my cube with balloons, gifts and cards.  After work, my amazing roommate took me to dinner at my favorite bar-b-que restaurant (Brother Jimmys) and to see a movie.  Thursday night, Sophia had come into town, and took me to dinner at a sushi restaurant next to Columbia University.  Afterwards we went to small group, where they had cupcakes and birthday singing for me!  I definitely felt the love from everyone here and back home, and realized that I am one lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment