Friday, May 4, 2012

My Greatest New York Achievement

I am proud to announce that as of this week, I have reached my greatest New York, and quite possibly, lifetime achievement.  I have discovered the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  Throughout the last almost 30 years, I have endured many a late night taste test, in America and beyond, of this decedent treasure we call a cookie.  Some say that cake is their favorite, others say the pie.  I say give me a cookie or give me death.  And a chocolate chip cookie takes the cake (ha!), of course.

How did I stumble upon this diamond of a dessert, you might ask?  Well, I have my job to thank for it.  As I was leaving a client appointment yesterday in Tribeca, I passed by a shop with wide windows and busy worker bees playing with gallons, no tubs, of chocolate.  I stood there in a trance like state for about five minutes before I realized I could go inside.  It was an actual shop!  And thanks to the sign on the front door, I knew at once that this was no ordinary, run of the mill, candy store.  This was Jacques Torres, which boasts the best chocolate chip cookie in New York City, thanks to New York Magazine.  And in my opinion, the world.

As it was just past 11 a.m., I thought I would pop in and just pick one of these little masterpieces up to eat later in the day.  But when the woman in the shower cap working behind the counter asked me if I wanted it warmed, I knew it couldn't wait.  It had to be eaten right then and there.  It had to be.  Anything else would've been pointless.  So, I did what any normal person would do and ordered milk to go with it.  As well as some kind of dark chocolate pistachio bar as my side item, and only because there were samples by the register.  It was my duty.

Eating that cookie was like laying in a hammock on the first warm day of spring, while drinking your grandmothers lemonade and listening to the ocean crash on the crystal-like sand.  It was perfection.  Chocolate just oozed out of it from every direction, and by the end, I had it all over my hands, my mouth, my suit, and I think my left shoe.  I could not have been happier.  In that moment, I was complete.  I highly encourage anyone visiting New York to pay old Jacques a visit at least once.  I also encourage you to take a trip to New York, just so you can go see him.  

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I read your blogs and it is no shock to me that we are best friends !!

    ReplyDelete