Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Sound of Music

It's amazing how influential music is over your mood.  A song can make you feel like you can conquer the world, or make you curl up into a ball and rock yourself back and forth while crying hysterically (never done it).  Music does provoke all kinds of emotions, and that's exactly why I love it.

I recently changed up the selections on my ipod, and intentionally chose more uplifting songs.  On my way to work this morning, I just couldn't stop smiling.  I honestly don't know the title or the artist, but the lyrics of my new favorite "on my way to work" song are about nothing being impossible for God....and about He holds my world in His hand.  Those are some pretty powerful statements that reminded me that nothing matters in this world without Him.  He is the reason to get up everyday, and face all that life throws our way.

This week in New York, I plan to explore multiple musical venues, genres, and performances.  Last night I went to Trinity church on Wall street, to hear Handle's Messiah.  I honestly just went to hear the Hallelujah choral song that mom used to play in our living room while she was working out to Charlene Prickett.  After the first two hours with no Hallelujah chorus, I was afraid I had made a terrible $30 mistake.  Finally, at the end of the second act, I got to hear exactly what I had come for and it was beautiful.

Tomorrow night I am going to hear Dave Kellan at Backfence in Greenwich Village.  Dave is a friend of a friend, and has played in Nashville many times.  The venue he is playing in is apparently listed in the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die.  I'm really excited about hearing him, and being at a legendary club in the village.

Finally, on Friday night I'm hoping to go to Bill's place in Harlem.  Apparently Bill is a world famous jazz musician and has opened a venue in his brownstone for Friday night performances only.  It always sells out, and is in his living room, so seating should be interesting.  Regardless, I am ready for a week of music in the city!

1 comment:

  1. Next time I come, I want some of those music experiences. Would have loved to have stood with you during Handel's, "Messiah."

    ReplyDelete