Sunday, February 6, 2011

February Fun

Only in Manhattan can you go to the grocery store and pay $12 for 1 lb of Velveeta, and proceed to the flower market across the street and pay the exact same amount for two dozen gorgeous roses.  I just don't get it.  I find myself frequently surprised by the cost of things, whether it be pricey or cheap.  I wonder what I could get for Shanes barbque up here.  Or better yet, open a Waffle House.  In the last two days, I have heard three different people say that the restaurant they miss the most from home is good ole WH.  I would give my left arm for an Allstar right about now.

I am excited for February in the city!  I've been told it is the most challenging month to live here, because it feels as if winter is never going to end.  So in an effort to prevent hibernation and zero social contact, I have planned something for every weekend in the month.

This weekend I volunteered at KEEN through New York Cares.  The purpose of the program is to work with special needs children through various activities to enhance social and functional skill sets.  I was partnered up with the cutest eight year old girl who wiped the floor with me in puppet design.  I beat her down in bowling though, so no harm done.  I enjoyed the entire afternoon, and met a lot of really great people (also my new place for meeting men-I mean, if you are going to spend your entire Saturday afternoon playing with children voluntarily, I think you may be worth me putting on make up and not wearing my fat pants).

Next weekend is FASHION WEEK!  Thanks to my friend Rich, I am working two different shifts on Friday and Saturday, and will have the chance to be around some of the most beautiful people and clothes in the world.  I do plan to come prepared with bags of candy and large quantities of baked goods,  because models are people too.  They need to eat.  And I need them to gain weight.

The following weekend I have my first legitimate audition for an actual play that has toured previously, and been made into a DVD.  I have already had an audio audition, and got a call back, so the accent must not be an issue!  I also am planning to submit for a role in Snow White, which will be an off Broadway production in the spring.

I'm hoping the end of February will bring a road trip to Vermont.  I have always wanted to see the state in the winter, and am working on getting a group together.  I do miss my road trips.  I get a little stir crazy if I have to stay in the same place for weeks on end (no matter where it is).  I think I will always have the nomadic gene, because the thought of settling down somewhere for the rest of my life really gives me a panic attack.  No clue why.  I guess I am a peacock, and you've got to let me fly!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am just cracking up at the visual of you feeding models cookies...lol... Let me know how it goes!!

    Love you dearly!!

    Hugs,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete