This weekend I had the privilege of participating in two very different shopping sprees. Gina was in Connecticut for her spring break, so I was more than happy to leave the city to visit her. After sleeping/watching Twilight in the bed until noon on Saturday, we got ready and went to Wal-Mart. Now, I haven't been to a Wal-Mart (or a Target, for that matter) in over three months, so needless to say, I was excited. I can honestly say that I have NEVER used the word excited when referring to a trip to Wal-Mart, until I moved here. It's just so nice to be able to get everything in one place, and to also not pay an arm and a leg for it. I believe there were tears of joy streaming down my face at the sight of a box fan. I have been searching diligently for one ever since I moved here (to drown out the street noise), to no avail. I was running through the aisles, screaming "Gina, I found a box fan! I FOUND A BOX FAN!" God bless the people who invented those, and also Wal-Mart who made them only $14. On the way back to the city on the train, I cannot tell you how many comments I got for having it in the seat next to me. My only response was "I live on 3rd avenue." Enough said.
I have two friends who work in the accounting department at Dolce & Gabanna, and last week they sent me an invitation to their annual sample sale. This has been a New York experience that I have had on my "to do" list for quite a while, so I thought I would check it out. I had no idea what to expect, and honestly never even thought I would have the strength or ability to crack open my wallet at something like that. For those of you who have never been to one, it would remind you of black Friday at Target. There are racks of random clothes, shoes, bags and other accessories scattered recklessly around the space, and people who don't think twice about body slamming you to get to their favorite items in their size. It also reminded me of the sterling silver floor at Tiffanys. VERY different vibe from the clientele than on the diamond floor, by the way.
After trying on a hand full of items in the communal dressing room (yikes! I forgot to shave), I actually found some things that I liked and could afford. The discounts ranged from 60-90%, depending on the year the collection came out. 2008 collections were 90% off!!! The most expensive thing I picked up (and immediately put back) was a dress for $7,000. Normally, I wouldn't have even considered the possibility of paying close to $200 for three items. But thanks to my accountant mother, I received my tax refund over the weekend. I ended up coming away with some fabulous purple heels, some even more fabulous black strappy/ribbony sandals and the cutest skirt I have ever seen. So what if I can't afford groceries for a month! At least I will look good, and the skirt will fit perfectly after all the weight I will lose! (Kidding)
I just want to close by saying that I have the best parents in the world. I came home yesterday to a package from them, which contained two boxes of my favorite cereal that I can't find here (thanks dad!), little Debbie cakes from mama Debbie (thanks mom!), peanut M&M's and some mail. Aside from the box fan, it was my favorite thing I got all weekend!
Awww...YAY! Your parents are the BEST! The clothes sound DIVINE! Must see a picture!!! Love you girl!!!
ReplyDelete