If the summer turns out to be half as good as this past weekend, then I am in for a real treat! Not only was the weather perfect (70s, sunny), but the agenda couldn't have been more entertaining. Friday night was the Braves/Mets game, and I went with my friend Rich. We were able to secure $15 seats that weren't actually half bad. I was one of the only Braves fans in a sea of blue and orange, but I definitely stood proud. Thankfully we won, even though the game was quite close. It was your typical summer evening of baseball, complete with hamburgers, hot dogs and onion rings (all which cost more than the ticket to the game).
On Saturday, several people from the small group I attend arranged a trip to Governors Island to celebrate a few birthdays among us. Governors Island is just south east of the southern tip of Manhattan, and was once the home of the U.S. Army, followed by the U.S. Coast Guard. The island hasn't been inhabited since 1996, but was established as a national park accessible to the public in 2003. With over 150 acres of trees, gorgeous lawns and old homes, it made for the perfect retreat out of the city. We all rented bikes to explore the entire area, had a picnic and toured the homes and churches. I definitely plan to go back, as it is a free ferry ride from Manhattan (departs right next to the Staten Island Ferry). There are hammocks to hang out on, art festivals, concerts, trapeze lessons and a fabulous view of the Statue of Liberty and the financial district. The best part about it was that it had a very local vibe, and seemed to be somewhat removed from the overwhelming amount of tourists that invade the city this time of year. After the visit to the island, I had dinner with two fabulous girls from the trip at Chat 'N Chew, my favorite "comfort food" diner in Union Square. Next was my friend's ska concert at Webster Hall, and then home to bed!
Today I decided to venture out with my church attendance, and ended up at the Harlem church which was recommended to me by one of my best friends. It was a great morning of worship, and there was a very diverse crowd of people there from France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Brazil...and of course locals! My favorite part was the fact that the term "hooptie" was used. I haven't heard that word since referring to my 1991 blue Lumina that I drove all through high school. Following the service, I ate at Sylvia's right next door. This restaurant is apparently legendary in the Harlem community, and has been since 1962 when it was opened by it's South Carolina founder, and there was not a single table available. I chose to sit at the bar of the diner portion, and enjoyed an amazing meal of fried chicken, eggs, biscuits and sweet tea. I even saw a guy that I knew working there!!!!! I had met him leaving work one day on the train all the way downtown. What a small world! This afternoon I went to an old coworker's baby's first birthday party in Jersey City, NJ. Met a lot of great new people, and had the best red velvet cupcakes of my life. Now I just need a weekend to rest from my weekend!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment