I was so blessed to be able to spend Memorial Day weekend with family and friends in Atlanta. It truly was the perfect vacation, as I was able to see many people who I love. We had great weather, even better food, an entertaining golf game, a whip cream and chocolate cake fight and a mini high school reunion. It was really hard to leave yesterday, and I am already anticipating my next trip back.
When I landed at LGA, I was hoping to hop in a quick cab ride home to meet my friend Brenda for a very late dinner. However, the line to hail a cab was an hour long. I really didn't want to mess with the bus/subway combo it takes to get home, so I waited. And waited. And waited. Until finally it was my turn in line, and boy did I get lucky. Not only was the cab brand new, but my driver was quite the comedian and mentor. We weren't even out of the airport when he said something about him being "retarded" for losing money in a blackjack game. I'm not sure what he was thinking to himself, but right after he said it, came the loudest cackle I have ever heard in my life. I burst into laughter, as did he. I wasn't sure what he was laughing about, but I was certain I was laughing at him laughing.
As we made our way into Astoria, Queens on the way home, he was able to gain enough composure to give me a three point lesson on the keys to life. These nuggets of wisdom were not solicited, but rather offered as a complimentary perk to his shuttle service. Point number one: Health. This did not require much explanation on my part. Point number two: Respect for others. Again, I was following him to the tee. Point number three: Happiness. Okay, I needed his clarification on this one. What did he mean by happiness? He went on to say that you should never expect anything from anyone or anything...his words. This, he professed, was the key to being happy. Zero expectations. I had never really thought about it that way. Of course, I have my own thoughts on what truly brings happiness, which I still stand by. But I thought he made a valid point. He told me he was from Pakistan, and that his entire family still lived there. He had retired a few years back, but lost all of his money because of gambling. He was such a pleasant man, who was quite entertaining, and definitely worth the wait.
Today I had really sore shoulders from playing golf with dad yesterday, so I decided to randomly google "cheap massages in midtown manhattan." And boy, oh boy, did I find a gem. Lilly and Raul was the first place to come up in my search, and since they didn't have a website, I didn't even bother. However, after seeing the price list of all the other places, I decided to call and check out their reviews. Not only was their price $42 for one hour, they gave me the exact time I was asking for after work, and also the therapist who I had read so much about...Amy. It was actually only four blocks from my apartment too, which seemed surreal. When I got there, I quickly realized it was a "no frills" kind of place. As in no walls between the rooms...just curtains. Normally this would make someone nervous, but not me. I had survived the Gellert Spa in Budapest, Hungary where my toe nail was cut off, I had to bathe in a pool of about 100 naked women, and then have my rear end slapped by a massage therapist who was insulting me in Hungarian. THIS I could handle.
Lilly and Raul is run by Japenese women who practice the art of Tui-Na massage. My Amy was the tiniest of these women, so I had my doubts that she could really work out these kinks in my back and shoulders. However, once I laid down on the paper towel covered massage table (yep), she got to work. Let me just say that I have never in my life experienced as deep of a deep tissue massage as this one. There were moments when I couldn't breathe because there was so much pressure. But ole Amy...she was determined to rid me of this knotty existence. She would not quit. She persevered when most would've thrown in the towel and moved to my feet. At one point I was drooling. Thank goodness that my face was down and she didn't notice the spit slip through the face prop. I left feeling refreshed and ready to collapse. What a great way to end the day! Now, I just have to find a second job so I can afford to go on a weekly basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment