Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ray, Radiohead and Grannys for a Greedless America

Fall is off to a great start in the city!  We went from 80s to 50s within a matter of days, so there hasn't been much time for that period of transition. I am certainly not complaining though.  I love this weather.

Last weekend I decided to explore the villages a bit, and it ended up being a great idea.  I found the apartments that Friends and The Cosby Show were based on, and I'm sure looked like a crazy person standing outside them both taking pictures.  As I meandered throughout these adorable little neighborhoods, I stumbled upon my very first "yard sale."  Basically, it was a blocked off section of the street where people had set up card tables to display all of their junk.  And when I say junk, I mean junk.  However, apparently New York junk is worth more that junk in other places because there were no items under $5.  There was a tiny mirror that looked like it had been bought at Wal-Mart that they wanted $75 for.  I did enjoy looking though.  By this point, I was in a major thrift store mood so I found the nearest Goodwill to browse around in.  Cheapest thing in there was $15!  Shocking.

Last Monday night a friend of mine at work and I made a very last minute decision to go to the Ray Lamontagne concert in Central Park.  It was a part of a series called Summerstage, and it really was a great show.  The band Punch Brothers opened for him, and the lead singer is Chris Thile who once played mandolin for Nickel Creek.  Ray was incredibly awkward with the audience, but an AMAZING performer.  It really was a perfect night...not a cloud in the sky, perfect weather and third row from the front.  While in line for pizza, I realized I was standing behind two reality TV stars from the Bachelor Pad...Michelle and Graham.  Normally, I wouldn't have a clue who these people were, but my roommate has kind of gotten me hooked on the show.  So...in my typical fashion...I inconspicuously snapped a photo of their backs. : )

As you probably know, there have been protestors downtown (right by my office) for the last two weeks.  They are expressing their disgust in the influence of corporate America/money and greed on our political system.  Friday it was announced that Radiohead would be playing a free show amongst the crowd around 4:00, so of course I made my way down.  After waiting for almost an hour, with no sign of Radiohead, I went back to the office.  But I did get to witness a. a girl who hadn't shaved her armpits in weeks, b. someone having their ear pierced in multiple places with a needle and nothing to ease the pain, c. a guy who wanted to end the fed and d. a group of "Grannys for a Greedless America." It was quite a spectacle.

Lots of trips coming up...church retreat in the Catskills, a drive through Vermont and possibly Niagara Falls.  Excited to see the leaves changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment