Sunday, October 30, 2011

Freddy Krueger Meets Frosty the Snowman

That's right folks...snow on Halloween weekend here in New York.  I think we are all a bit confused about which holiday we are actually supposed to be celebrating.  It is very difficult to be scared and freaked out about anything when the entire ground is white and flakes are cascading down from the sky.

Despite the crazy weather that has been incredibly inconvenient, there have been a few highlights from the weekend.  On Friday night, my roommate and I went to Ikea in Brooklyn to buy new furniture for our living room.  This was an experience within itself, as you have to take a boat to get there.  The store is located along the water in Brooklyn, and isn't convenient by mass transit.  Once we made all of our purchases (I am VERY excited about our white couch!) we headed to the cafe for one of their famous cinnamon rolls.  Also, I ate 2 hot dogs, chips and a drink and I paid a total of $5 for everything.  This is unheard of in the city, so you can imagine how happy we were to do it.  As we boated back to Manhattan, we noticed a very impressive fireworks show going off around the Statue of Liberty, and decided it was in celebration of its 125th birthday.  They lasted for our entire trip back, and we had such a great view.  What perfect timing!

Everything is being delivered tomorrow, and we had painters in over the weekend to cover the entire apartment in blues, yellows and tans.  I am so excited to see the final product tomorrow night after everything is done.  It is finally starting to feel like a home, as opposed to my college dorm room.  Not that there is anything wrong with sitting on a futon or eating on a tray table when you are almost 30 years old.  Now all we have to decide on is new wall art and other accents for the room, and then I will be ready to post pictures.

Another exciting aspect of the weekend was the musical I got to see yesterday.  "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" is currently starring Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and has been quite the sensation due to his extreme popularity from the movie series.  So much the sensation, that the line for Rush tickets typically starts forming around 8 a.m. for the 10:00 opening of the box office.  I have tried once before to get these $30 tickets, and they sold out before I made it to the front.  But not yesterday.  I was probably the fifteenth person in line and was able to secure two FRONT ROW BOX tickets to the matinee for $30 each!  We were so close you could almost see the zits on little Danny's face.  My favorite part was John Larroquette, who won a Tony for his performance in the show.  Hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment