Picture it...New York...2012...a 15 degree winter Friday with nowhere to be for the next 24 hours, a new job secured for the next week and a pocket full of quarters. The only logical thing for a girl to do is take that long anticipated trip to Miss Fields. I walk in, people everywhere are smiling, I see a delivery boy jumping up to click his heels out of pure joy with his job...I think I even hear some Disney soundtrack playing overhead. This is my place, for sure. I approach the counter with maybe a bit of drool in the corner of my mouth, and order a slice of cookie cake...or a double doozie....or BOTH! Who cares, I'm on the top of the world.
I tell the lucky lady working behind the counter that this has been one of the best days of my New York life, and that I live just a mere twelve stories above her wonderland of cookies. She welcomes me to the store, tells me it has only been open for two weeks, and offers a free cookie since we are "neighbors." I gladly accept said cookie with a big smile on my face, and proceed to knock over a sign that was on the counter...onto the floor...shattering the holder into a million pieces. She nods and smiles, assures me I shouldn't worry, some guy comes from my left almost immediately with a broom to fix the problem, and I am on my way.
Thank goodness we painted the apartment this fall, got new furniture, redecorated the whole place, and that my interest in reading has actually been rekindled, because I do not plan to leave these four walls until April at this weather rate. I love my apartment. It is so warm and inviting, and definitely worth the investment to perk up a bit. My favorite thing to do after work and gym is to come home, light a candle, put on some Billie Holiday and write/read/watch a host of television shows I am too embarrassed to admit I watch. This is how one spends a winter in New York. Very little interaction with the outside world, and this is an understanding you have with everyone you know. I probably won't even see half of my friends until it is socially acceptable to wear white again. So until that time, you may hear a lot from me. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment