New York is not an easy city to live in. Everything is expensive, nothing about it is laid back, and you are in constant competition with people who are either your equals or superiors in talent and ambition. It can be exhausting in so many ways, and there are times when you wonder if you have chosen wisely by making it your home.
And then you have a "New York moment"...
Such a moment confirms that your decision is probably one of the best of your life. It can be anything from participating in the filming of a movie, to finding a fabulous new restaurant that was probably in a movie, or encountering a celebrity on the street. These moments are distinctively unique to New York, and provoke thoughts of awe and wonder to a new resident. They remove all doubt and make you think"so this is why I live here."
I've been really lucky to experience many New York moments since moving here. Most recently (this evening actually), I was walking around in Greenwich village looking for the Chick-fil-a at NYU, and ran into Meg Ryan. She passed me at the intersection of Broadway and Astor, and was with a man who I did not recognize. She had her City of Angels hair-do, and really big lips. Definitely not the same face as in You've Got Mail (one of my favorites). But it was really cool, and totally made up for the fact that Chick-fil-a was closed.
I totally love "You've Got Mail"! One of my favorites, too. =) So exciting to see Meg Ryan!! I'm glad she has short hair again now, but I wish she'd leave the Botox out of her beauty regimen. I always want her to keep looking like Kathleen Kelly. ;)
ReplyDelete