I went to see my first New York doctor today. I had no idea what to expect, especially once I found out that their office was located in the port authority bus terminal west of Times Square. I was referred to them by a coworker who did nothing but sing their praises, so I braved it. To my surprise, I was actually quite impressed. Before I was able to take a seat in the lobby and pick up the latest issue of Parents Today, they escorted me back to the exam room. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating, and I was out within half an hour. What type of doctor, you might ask. Dr. Steve Landman is a podiatrist, and I saw him because I officially have bunions. It runs in my family, but I was hoping to be that generation it skips. However, I've had some pain in my right foot and his suggestion was surgery. My first thought was "how am I going to fit my new D&G heels into that boot?" I may hold off until the end of the summer to do it though, because I cannot bare no beach for a month. So there you have it....I've been wearing a nighttime bunion stabilizer for a few weeks now...I already wear a mouth guard...no wonder I'm alone. (kidding)
I may have mentioned before that it is pretty common to see homeless people in subway cars asking for money in between stops. I also may have mentioned how I have had several encounters where I run into someone randomly in the city who I know. Today those two worlds collided, and I saw a homeless man I knew from a previous train ride on a completely different train at a completely different time of day. He's definitely easy to spot, because he reminds me of what I think Moses would have looked like if he would've been a sumo wrestler. As he passed my seat, I reached down to change the song on my ipod, and he thought I was reaching down for money. So..he lingered. Once I looked up, I panicked, and shouted..."oh no, I was just trying to find a different song." It was so awkward, but he graciously flipped over his cardboard sign to the opposite side that said "thank you" and gave me a thumbs up. If I ever see him again, I will do my best to not make a song change and find him some actually change instead.
Tomorrow night has been long anticipated, as it is the first official night of fleet week!!!!! My single girlfriend and I are planning to have dinner at the Delta Grill in Hells Kitchen (next to Times Square) so we can be available to serve as the welcoming committee for all the soldiers!!! All that we plan to do is look, possibly waive, maybe show some ankle if they get lucky...who knows, the world is our oyster!
Totally impressed with the doctor's office visit! Wow! Wish my doctor's office was that fast, too. ;P Good luck with the surgery, whenever you decide to have it...oh, and I wear a mouth guard at night, too. The one I just got from the dentist is soooo much better than the Wal-Mart ones I had tried. I am actually dorkily excited about that! =)
ReplyDelete