Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Few of my Favorite Things

I just love The Sound of Music, and I have ever since I can remember.  I must say that I am not a fan of musicals at all really, but that one has always been the exception.  My grandmother used to have these curtains in her dining room that reminded me of the ones that Maria made play clothes out of for the children.  I pulled those things over my head on more than one occasion and sang "My Favorite Things".  When no one was around, I would sneak my mother's wedding dress out of the closet, put it on (age 8) and pretend I was marching down the aisle towards Captain Von Trapp.  I also thought that Friedrich was cute, but that's another issue altogether.

Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about that song recently.  I even made a list of my favorite things on a sticky note and plastered it to the wall in front of my desk.  I look at it everyday and think of ways I can work in one of those areas on a regular basis.  Out of the five items listed, one of them was music.  I absolutely love music, and have a fairly diverse collection of it.  I could sit for hours listening to it live, and I attribute that to my parents.

Before I was even born, my mom would go to my dad's shows quite frequently (he was and is a rock star).  She tells me that I would go crazy in her belly, bouncing all over the place.  After I was born and became a little girl, my first loves became Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel and Huey Lewis and the News.  I remember dancing around to their records, propping their album covers up on our couches and chairs, and running around kissing them.  And of course there was an all girls band in our living room from the Fairview COC.  I was always the drummer (aka pot and pan player).

Since moving to New York, I have been very lucky to be able to see some fantastic shows.  Although these artists tour all over the country, they will always come to New York, so it seems like there is a never-ending line up of my favorites.  It has been quite taxing on my credit card, but worth every penny. NeedtoBreathe, Amos Lee,  and the Allman Brothers got me through the winter months.  Now I can look forward to Kings of Leon, Jonny Lang, the American Idol tour (don't judge me) and hopefully Pearl Jam...not to mention all the free shows in the park!

Not only are the mainstream artists something to look forward to, but the local ones as well.  Last night I went with some girlfriends to the Red Lion.  It is a restaurant/bar/music venue in the west village, and has always had such impressive talent.  They have no cover, which makes it unique and right up my alley.  It was a duo of these guys from Ireland and Italy.  The lead singer sounded just like Eddie Vedder and was Irish from head to toe.  His lead guitarist was absolutely unbelievable.  The top of his head didn't even quite touch my shoulder (he was not a "little person"), and his faces were quite entertaining to watch.  I just wanted to put him in my pocket.

My other favorite things include acting/theater, travel, event planning, and working with the elderly.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to land a job in one of these areas, because every time I think about them, I get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment