Sunday, May 1, 2011

Serenity, Sightings and Summer

You know that feeling you get when you pull into the driveway after you've worked hard all day, and it's suddenly easier to breathe because you are in your peaceful place?  Well, I don't have a driveway to pull into anymore.  BUT I do have this amazing courtyard in my building that somehow has the ability to make me forget all of my troubles as soon as I see it.  Our apartment complex is essentially 3 different units in a "U" shape, with the courtyard in the middle.  Our garden of tranquility is adjacent to what used to be a pretty popular Chinese restaurant called Chiam (now vacant).  The building has entrances at both 47th and 48th street, and both lead you into this area filled with trees, plants, and seating areas.  In the center is a water fountain (Christmas tree during December).  It is literally like a whole other world, because as soon as the doorman buzzes you into the door, you can no longer hear street noise...just water bubbling.  You look up and can actually see the sky (and of course a few skyscrapers).  Today everything looked so green and vibrant, and I was reminded of how glad I am that spring is finally here.

As I was walking down 47th on Friday night, about to turn into my building, I passed Tea Leoni.  She was walking with a friend, and I'm assuming was coming from dinner at the Japanese restaurant next door.  For those of you who may not know who that is, she is married to David Duchovny and has starred in multiple movies, including my favorite, The Family Man.  I definitely recognized her right off the bat, but stood stiff as a board in the street as she walked towards me just to make sure.  This random man standing outside a bar saw me with my mouth hanging open, and said "That's right, it's her."  I know she's not A list by any means, but I never fail to be shocked whenever this happens to me here.  Of course, I didn't have my camera, and didn't have time to fumble around for it anyway.  But nevertheless, it was the highlight of my day.

I spent some time at my penthouse piano today, making my first attempt at songwriting.  I already have lyrics, and now just need to decide on my chord structure.  I love spending Sunday afternoons up there.  No one is ever around, and I have this entire floor all to myself.  I don't know how I got so lucky to have such a hook up, but I am grateful for it.  A friend at church asked me today to join a book club with her, which I was glad to do.  I also start improv classes this Tuesday, and am looking into cooking classes as well.  Summer is definitely going to be much better than winter here, that's for sure.  I already have tickets to see Johnny Lang in June, Journey in August and have a laundry list of free shows in the park on my to-do list.  Long Beach is a great place to go on weekends, because it's only an hour away and commutable by train.  Fleet week is at the end of this month, which is a time when naval sailors are docked here for a week and are swarming all over the city.  Pretty much heaven, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment