Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Black and White Cookie, a Girl and a Dream

I must tell you about two recent discoveries I have made in the city.  Last week I promised to provide breakfast to a client of mine, who I desperately wanted to impress.  So I googled "best bagel places in midtown east, new york city", and Ess-a-bagel was the first result.  It happened to be only three blocks away, so I headed to 51st street with high hopes and a company Visa.  Turns out it is quite popular, because the line was out the door.  An 80 year old male greeter (I thought I was in Wal-Mart for a minute) told me to wait in a certain line, which ended up being the wrong one.  Eventually I ended up in the "bulk order" section, where I got talked into buying $70 worth of bagels and coffee.  The platter looked divine, and when my client saw the label, her eyes immediately lit up.  Thank you, Ess-a-bagel, for making me a winner that day.

I actually had to return the carafe the coffee came in that afternoon, so I made the trek over in between meetings.  While I was there, I made my second greatest discovery of the week-the black and white cookie.  Now, I know that these little discs of wonder are nothing new to most of America, and that they are sold just about everywhere.  But to me, it was like going down a road I had never gone down before.  I also ordered a glass of milk to go, as I had to be on the E train shortly after.  I thought I could wait until I got to the office to partake, but there it was...the cookie...just staring me in the face.  So I did what any chocolate addicted woman would do.  I ate it.  Devoured it, actually.  Right there in front of everyone.  It may have lasted three stops.  YUM!

In other news, I am so excited to go to Tennessee this weekend for our Labor Day family reunion.  I must say that I am looking forward to just about every part of it, with the exception of one thing.  The sleeping situation has not been a pleasurable experience since my sister got married.  Before that time, we would team up to get a bedroom.  Sisters unite!  We made a great case about us being grown women and needing our privacy.  But now, it is a battle I must fight alone.  The options have been as follows: the sunroom pull out couch where I can be assured to be woken up by young children before sunrise, the floor in my grandparents walk-in closet (right by the guns), and most recently, my aunt's house about a mile down the road (she does have a pool though).  I know there is power in numbers, and since I am just a party of one currently, that gets trumped every time by those in a state of wedded bliss.  But my question is this...when will it end?  When will all sleeping arrangements be equal?  If I am 65 years old and still single, will I be sleeping in a tent in the backyard when I visit family?  Or perhaps a hammock in the corner of the basement?  At that point, one could only hope for one of those Tempur-Pedic Advanced Ergo Adjustable Base beds that you see on television.  A girl can dream...

1 comment:

  1. O.K., have you seen Dan in Real Life? One of my favorite movies. Anyway, that bed in the laundry room that he has to sleep in at the cabin...ohhhh, nooooo! Oh, dear. Cringe. Good luck with the sleeping situation! Enjoy your visit to the South. =)

    ReplyDelete