This week is Fashion Week in New York for the spring 2012 collections. While attending the gala in the Hamptons a month ago, I had the privilege of not only meeting, but commuting back to the city with the designer B Michael. He was such a pleasure to be around...very personable, sweet and down to earth and actually extended an invitation to his show during Fashion Week. So tonight I put on the skinniest pants I own and some snazzy boots and went!
For those of you who just joined the blog, I actually was a volunteer at the Fashion Week this past February and worked my tail off at three different shows. I must say, I definitely prefer being a guest instead. The hall was much more accommodating than those at Lincoln Center, yet still chic and fabulous. I sat third row back in the second section from where the runway started. As soon as I took my seat, I looked up and there sat Phylicia Rashad, aka Claire Huxtable, directly across from me. She literally took my breath away. I think I had to blink like ten times just to make sure it was her. Also in attendance was Cicily Tyson (most recently from The Help), Desiree and Tamara Tunie (as well as several others I did not recognize). It was quite an exciting group!
B. Michael had around 25 pieces displayed in his collection, and I loved the majority of them. His style is simple, elegant and refined and the palate he used was divine (mostly pinks, yellows and oranges). My favorite selection was a white pin striped pant with a very fitted pink tweed blazer....perfect for work. His preferred target markets are the "professional woman" and "ladies who lunch", although he has dressed stars like Beyonce, Halle Berry and Serena and Venus Williams. B. Michael began his career on Wall Street, and was the son of a real estate broker and CPA from Connecticut. It wasn't until he was older that he tapped into his creative side, and begin to design for Oscar de la Renta. Most high fashion just doesn't make sense to me. But his designs were practical, yet inventive, and can be worn exceptionally well by most women.
After the show (which only lasted about fifteen minutes-typical), instead of heading for the most direct path out, I went around a set of chairs just to be able to exit by Ms. Rashad. I had my camera out and was preparing what I wanted to say, although I thought it may be impossible to get her attention. Not so impossible, after all. I walked right up, shook her hand and said that I had admired her talent and class for as long as I could remember and that it was an honor to meet her. I asked if she would mind taking a picture with me, she obliged and I can honestly say that I can die now. What a dream come true!
Oh, how fun!! I love her, too! But where is the photographic evidence? ;)
ReplyDelete