Sunday, November 20, 2011

Breaking Faces at Breaking Dawn

In case I didn't mention it in previous posts, my office is located directly across the street from Zuccotti Park, which has been the home of the Occupy Wall Street protestors for the last few months.  From my desk, I watch them off and on all day, banging their drums and holding up their home made signs.  For the most part, they have pretty much stayed in the park and out of our way.  Thursday was a different story.  Not only could I not get into my building using my normal path (because there were around fifty or so SWAT team cops blocking off my street), I couldn't get into the grand opening of TJ Maxx Wall Street (shame, shame OWS).  I think that is what irritated me most.  There were hundreds of people swarming around the NYSE, trying to prevent the traditional 9:30 bell from being rung.  They were chanting, screaming, and behaving like maniacs.  All I wanted to do is shop at my favorite discount store.  Fail.

I also got to witness the fight with the police that occurred later that afternoon in the park.  Sirens flooded our office, which is rare since we are on the 21st floor and can never hear anything.  We saw people running from police, and being taken down and some beaten.  It was quite a sight to see.  Thankfully, everyone cleared out a little later and didn't come back on Friday.  I would say that I have been indifferent, for the most part, with the initiative as a whole.  I don't believe these people will change anything without a distinctive purpose and action plan, but I also believe that they have a right to protest.  Most of the people I have seen are younger than me.  I often wonder who is paying their bills.  Is it mothers and fathers, who potentially work for the companies/industries they are protesting?  My first reaction is to call them spoiled and unorganized, but I do respect, to some degree, their dedication.

In other news of brutality, I saw Breaking Dawn this past Friday night with my favorite coworker.  As she and I were entering the theater, we heard screaming and yelling and thought "have the protestors relocated to AMC Kips Bay?".  No, no, no.  It was simply a "Twihard" punching another "Twihard" in the face for taking her seat front and center of the screen.  They were in a legitimate cat fight, and eventually had to be taken out by security and not allowed to see the movie.  Which resulted in both of them crying hysterically on the floor in the hallway.  I must say, I'd never seen such a thing while watching the previous three movies in the series back in Nashville.  But we ain't in Kansas anymore.  This is how we do in the NYC.  I would be willing to bet that we had a classic case of Team Edward vs. Team Jacob in the theater that night.

Last night was our small group outing to Korea Town for some much anticipated karaoke.  As I was trying to make it there, I ran into someone I should probably consider an acquaintance by now.  Zach Woods, "Gabe", from the Office.  This is the fourth time I have run into him in public in the last 5 months.   This place can really feel like a small town at times.  The karaoke place was awesome!  There is a $70 per hour fee, and for that amount you receive a private room, a waitress and a few thousand songs to choose from.  We spent two hours singing some of the greats, such as Baby Got Back, Bohemian Rhapsody (I contributed the interpretive dance), and my all time favorite...Amy Grant's Baby Baby.  Still in the mood for Asian influence after our time with the room had expired, we headed over to a Korean Fried Chicken restaurant and went crazy.  And I do mean crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment