Monday, October 18, 2010

Support Anthropologie!

I had dinner with my friend Sara tonight, and she is one of my favorite people here!  She and I moved here at the same time, we share a name, and also similar tastes in food.  We decided to meet up in Union Square after she got off of work, and do what we do best...discover a random restaurant together.  Tonight's find was a little diner type place called Chat and Chew.  We initially picked it because it was the cheapest thing on the street, but am now convinced that it probably had the best food too.  We ordered the same thing : ), fried chicken, sweet potato fries, mashed potatoes, salads, and carrot cake...and only spent $50!  It was the closest thing to a home cooked meal that I have had here, and I left fat and happy.

During our conversation, she told me that she had been offered an official position at the place she had been interning.  She majored in textile design in college, but has been working in fashion design here.  Her company sells a lot of their product to Anthropologie, which I LOVE!  Apparently her boss recently saw a picture of a quilt Sara had designed and made for herself, and loved it.  She offered to pitch it to Anthropologie on her behalf.  So for those of you who are in need of bedding, you may have an opportunity to buy a piece designed by one of the most talented girls I know!

Totally random observation, but people do not seem to sweat here.  It was in the mid 70's the other day, and I noticed multiple people with heavy winter coats on, complete with scarves up to their ears.  It would've reminded you of a good ole fashioned Christmas Story swaddle.  And they were not perspiring.  I, on the other hand, was in a tank top, shorts and flip flops and was sweating like a 300 lb man who has just climbed ten flights of stairs.

Tomorrow I think I may see a movie (matinees run from 10 a.m.-noon, that's right), go to the gym (and try not to sweat), and attend a New York cares orientation.  It's similar to Hands on Nashville, which touches multiple outreach initiatives and charitable organizations.  Once I am oriented, I can begin volunteering for any group they represent, which is exciting!  I still want to work in an assisted living facility, so we'll see.

1 comment: