Saturday, September 17, 2011

The New York Men In My Life

When I wake up in the morning on a work day, I know I have at least five things to look forward to over the course of the next five hours.  Five men, that is.

My 47th street doorman always knows how to start my day off right.  When I am leaving the building on my way to the subway, I look to my left, and there he sits.  He always waves and wishes me a great day at work, and no matter how much of train wreck my outfit may be, his smile makes me feel like a runway model.  Every woman should have a little Jose ego boost in the morning.

My AM New York newspaper man catches my attention next as I walk between 44th and 43rd street.  I must say that I only take the newspaper when he is passing them out.  I believe he may be partially deaf, and there is something about him that makes me so happy.  His demeanor is ALWAYS pleasant and encouraging, and no matter how menial of a task it may be to pass out newspapers to uptight, rushed New Yorkers, he never fails to do it with a smile on his face.  So I gladly take my newspaper (even though the only thing I really read is the horoscope and latest celebrity gossip), he wishes me a great day or weekend, and I proceed to the subway.

My Dunkin Donuts man knows exactly what kind of coffee I like to have every morning.  Since I have been visiting him every day for the last year, the process is quite simple.  I walk up to the counter, he sees my face, and proceeds to make a medium coffee with cream, sugar and caramel.  He never judges me for starting off my day with something so fattening.  The cashier doesn't even have to tell me the price anymore.  I hand her my $2.00, she hands me my nickel, and our transaction is complete.  It's that simple.  Two blocks to the office, and I've already had a great morning.

My security guard man in the Brown Brothers Harriman building where I work loves to wink.  At first I thought it was just at me, but then I realized I wasn't the sole object of his affection.  As soon as I enter the building, I get a wink, a smile, and a "have a great day miss".  Occasionally I will forget my building access ID, and he gladly buzzes me in even though this is totally against building security protocol.  He has also given me an umbrella to use when I am unprepared for rain.  Love that guy.

My Kuma is my favorite man of them all.  After a few grueling hours in the office, it is time to rejuvenate at lunch time.  I make my way to a sushi restaurant right around the corner from the building, an establishment that somewhat resembles a crack den.  However, they have the best sushi (and lunch special) in the entire financial district.  Kuma has worked there for 20+ years, and is quite a legend to the older generation of Wall Street.  Not only does he know my name, he knows what I like to order and I don't even have to ask.  He knows a lot of personal things about me, for that matter, and I am okay with that since he is around 65.  He makes regular comments about men in this city being stupid because no one has snatched me up yet.  And an added bonus...sometimes I don't have to pay.  I simply adore him.

So there you have it.  Most girls settle for one man, but I have five.  Five that make sure I am doted on, informed of current events, protected, provided for, well fed and caffeinated up.  What more could you ask for, really.  I am one lucky lady!

1 comment:

  1. Awww.... I always love reading your writing. So much fun to have a glimpse into your New York world and it's men. Tell me you changed the building names and street numbers, right? Lie to me, if not. ;)

    ReplyDelete