Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day in NYC!


Moving day is OVER!  It was pretty traumatic.  I found this company (First Class American Movers-Jersey) online and was highly impressed with them in the initial booking process.  The saleswoman (Leslie) was very pleasant until I booked, gave my $70 deposit, and committed to a move date.  After that, it was all down hill.  The night we spent in Martinsburg, WV, I decided to check the BBB on them, and they were rated D+.  NO JOKE!  When dad and I arrived at their office, she said the guys were not available until hours later, wanted to pack the truck tonight and move me in the next day, and had the shadiest office I have ever seen.  Needless to say, I canceled, found some legitimate movers and got it all in around 5:30…45 minutes to spare before the U.S. Open!

Brian took me as a “moving-in” present, and although I knew nothing about tennis, the experience was awesome!  We took the train to Queens where Flushing Meadows is located, to see the match between Roger Federer and Jergen Melzer.  Among several of the stars in the audience were Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale, Ashlee Simpson, and Cameron Diaz.  The stadium was gorgeous, the weather was perfect, and the company was never better!

This morning I woke up to the melodic tones of taxi horns and transmissions outside my window.  But I actually did sleep until 9:00 through all of the morning rush.  After spending the morning unpacking my room and settling in, I made the trek to the grocery…just a block away.  I ended up spending $45 on items that would’ve normally cost $30 at Publix.  Nothing really shocked me except the cereal.  Cheerios were $5 a box, and there are no off brands.  I’m going to have to get creative with my meals, for sure.

After shopping and eating lunch, I wandered around midtown for a few hours, ending up at the New York Public Library.  As I entered, I couldn’t help but laugh to myself and hope with all of my heart to see Mr. Bookman.  I enjoyed the peace of the reading room for about an hour, then headed back home. 

All in all, a pretty uneventful day compared to yesterday.  Tomorrow I plan to get a gym membership, buy some kitchen items, and find a retirement home to volunteer at.  Hopefully I’ll get to meet up with some people this week who I have been introduced to online.  I need some friends here.

As I sit in the window of the Starbucks across from my apartment writing on my MAC (just like Carrie Bradshaw), I have so many thoughts running through my head.  The people walking by all look so different.  Old, young, gorgeous, not so gorgeous…you get everything here.  The girl next to me sounds just like Daniel from Karate Kid.  They must be from the same town in New Jersey. 

Make no mistake about it, I am really glad to be here.  But I still can’t believe I gave up central heating and air for Central Park, a large townhome for the largest city in the country, and sweet tea for SOHO.  But on the other hand, I gave up being solo single for Saturday Night Live,  Regions Bank for Radio City Music Hall, and country music for China Town!


3 comments:

  1. Well, Miss Georgia Peach...At the risk of this sounding like one of those patented, "When I was your age," ramblings...I DO remember when you were a little girl, and thinking, "This kid is special." I knew that whatever you did with your life, it would be extraordinary. I am glad I was right. I pray for you countless times a day, and ask God to take care of you - mainly because I can't physically be there to handle the job myself. I am proud of you, honored to be your father, and hopeful that all your prayers are answered for the very best. I trust God, and I trust you. Go get 'em, Georgia Peach. Your old daddy loves you with all his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you sweet girl! You are a brave soul in a whole new world full of awaiting adventures. Cannot wait to see what God has and what He will do in and through you in this. I love you so so much!!!

    Hugs,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might cry at your dads comment!

    ReplyDelete