Saturday, September 11, 2010

Spending 9/11 in NYC

I didn't really know what to expect out of today.  There seemed to be extra security coverage in the subways.  Every police officer I saw was in their dress uniform.  People even seemed to be cordial and polite.  I debated on whether or not to go to ground zero for the memorial service, and opted out because I didn't want to go to something like that alone.  Maybe next year, for the ten year anniversary.  I did notice a fire station in SOHO, and their truck out front that honored all of those from their unit lost on 9/11.  The captain was standing in the middle of the street, somber and silent, staring at the truck.  It was an incredibly touching moment.  His men were asking him if he needed anything, caring for him almost like he was their invalid grandparent.  I cannot imagine what goes through his mind every year on this day.

I decided to attend an open audition that I received a call about yesterday, first thing this morning instead.  This was my very first solo subway experience, and it went fairly smoothly.  After googling my subway directions (who knew you could do that), I was on my way.  The building that I was supposed to go to was right next to Macy's.  Upon entering, the doorman gave me the appropriate floor, and I proceeded to get on the elevator with a painter who was working on the interior hallways.  His accent was German, I think.  We chatted briefly, at which point he asked me if I was going to 203.  After I confirmed, he said "you no need to go there...they charge money for classes...I take you somewhere legitimate".  Well...ok my new German friend....we go to 4 instead.  He led me to the door of this office,  busted in like he owned the place, told the guy I was his friend and that I was here to get an agent.  Apparently the owner did him a favor by letting me come in, so I was very appreciative.  They do placements for 30 Rock, Gossip Girl, NCIS, and multiple commercial projects.  I read a script, gave him a head shot, and he asked me to come back for a second round on Monday!

The Georgia game started at noon today, so I hurried over to Firefly, which is a bar in SOHO where the UGA alumni association host games every week.  Food was amazing, and it was actually a pretty swanky atmosphere.  I sat in between a girl from Eagles Landing (small world!) and some men from Cartersville who were in town for business.  The dawgs didn't play so well, but it was nice to hear a familiar accent, talk to someone who actually knew what Chick-fil-a was, and feel like I had a little piece of home.

I had seen a train in my last subway station that had a final destination of Coney Island, so I figured...why not!  We had gorgeous weather, and after seeing Two Weeks Notice a few years ago, I've always wanted to walk on that boardwalk.  It was everything I had imagined!  Cheap hot dog places, kids running all over the place, and bird poop on the only bench that wasn't occupied.  I walked on the "beach" for about ten minutes, talked to mom, and drank my favorite...Dunkin Donuts coffee with caramel!  It was the perfect ending to an afternoon!

The train ride home is about an hour.  When I was fumbling around in my purse, my Ipod apparently dropped to the ground, unnoticed.  A young girl sitting across from me jumped up to pick it up for me.  Not ALL New Yorkers are rude.  Actually, many of them are hospitable and humble.

Tonight I joined five of my old coworkers from Regions in Murfreesboro for dinner.  They are visiting the city for a long weekend.  We went to the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park, and it was YUMMY!  I had a cheeseburger and vanilla milkshake, and it was the best $9 I've spent on food here yet.

Tomorrow is church, Broadway on Broadway (FREE!), and more time with my Tennessee people.  Hard to believe it's almost been a week...but also that it has ONLY been a week!  I'm exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment