Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Observations

Although there are over seven million people living in this city, I have actually seen someone twice!  He was an elderly man that resembled Bilbo Baggins, and was absolutely precious.  He was sitting across from me on the train back from Coney Island, sleeping, and I was able to snap his picture.  While walking home from the Shake Shack later that evening, there he was again.  Just the sight of him brightened my heart.

People watching could be considered an Olympic sport here.  You get it all.  And I find that to be one of my favorite parts.  No one looks or sounds the same, but I think they all know I'm not from around here.  Maybe it's the fact that I actually smile, or make eye contact them when passing on the street.  If you live here, what is there to be mad about?  While in a board meeting today for a non-profit I was involved in while in Nashville (and am now involved in here), a gentleman commented on how much he liked my accent.  I said "thank you", and was thinking "what accent!" Heaven forbid he ever meet someone from Sante Fe, TN.

I felt exhausted for the first time today, just listening to everyone talk.  I usually can keep up with anything fast pace, but I do need a break once in a while.  From the time I was able to speak, words were flying out of my mouth at the speed of light.  And when you have a speech impediment, that isn't pretty. But everything about life here is at mach speed.  Whether you are walking down the street, in conversation with someone, or even trying to eat a quick bite, it's GO-GO-GO-GO: STOP: and then repeat.  I've had three cups of coffee today: THREE.  This city is not going to help my addiction, and I cannot even THINK of detoxing myself ever again.

The subway was another interesting experience today.  On my way to meet a friend for coffee, I was sitting across from a young man with Turrets who appeared to be listening to Eminem on his Ipod.  I was just waiting for an expletive to fly out of his mouth from any one of the song choices, but alas, he kept them to himself.  Then, a young girl decided to position herself right in front of my seat, while grasping the bar above my head.  I would have been fine with this, except she must have forgotten to shave for a while, because I'm pretty sure I measured 3 inches of hair dangling above me.  Finally, when exiting, or attempting to exit rather, I was fondly reminded of a scene from Crocodile Dundee where Sue finds Mick in the sub station.  The same crowd was there today, only no one was yelling out personal information and feelings from one end to the other.  However, that is how I have officially decided I would like to be proposed to someday.
  

1 comment: