What a week! I think of things every day that I want to write about, but am having trouble finding the time to do it. Hopefully, I can capture it all in this entry by going day by day.
Last Friday night I had the privilege of attending the private, in-home concert of pianist Elaine Kwon in the upper west side. Elaine will be performing at a benefit for Best Buddies at Carnegie Hall in a few weeks. For those of you who don't know, I was on the board for BB in Nashville, and am now an active participant in the NYC chapter. Needless to say, she was absolutely amazing and I got to meet some wonderful people there.
Saturday was spent cleaning the apartment, preparing for Jennifer's arrival. I also found the time to visit the Guggenheim during the "pay what you can" period which starts at 5:45. Of course, my favorite pieces were those of Van Gogh and Monet. On the way home, I made a stop at Dylan's candy bar, which is three floors of any candy you could ever hope to find. I saw one kid almost pass out with pleasure.
Jennifer and I had a wonderful time together over the weekend. We had great food and did some serious shopping. Sunday was Central Park, brunch at this fabulous Mexican restaurant with friends, Chinatown, and a broadway show! The Chinatown adventure was classic. We got to experience two different methods of purchasing illegal bags. The first started when a woman whispered Prada in my ear. We expressed interest, she phoned someone, who then came and took us across the street to someone else. They instructed us to wait under a red awning, and when the coast was clear, we were led downstairs into a basement filled with knock-offs. The second salesman decided to show us pictures of their product on the street, and retrieved them from goodness knows where once we had selected our choices. I also thought a woman was screaming Armani at me, which actually turned out to be "massages!", which we got for $5 each. Later that evening, we got to see Next to Normal which was an intensely emotional show. I loved every minute of it!
Monday was spent shopping, visiting a rooftop in Times Square (AMAZING!), lunch at the Boathouse in Central Park (EXPENSIVE!), and a Yankees game (THEY WON!). We definitely packed a lot in, but had a blast.
This week has been the General Assembly of the United Nations, which is only a few blocks away from where I live. It has all been a bit chaotic, especially since Barak Obama stayed at the Waldorf Astoria (also just a few blocks away). Bill Clinton was also staying two blocks from here. Streets have been blocked off, police have been everywhere, and all 192 members have definitely spent their free time touring our neighborhood. I ran into the president and prime minister from Rwanda in the customer service line at Best Buy. If I would've known that was going to happen, I would've dressed up a bit more.
Clothing is a huge deal here. I saw a guy recently who was wearing capri pants, and pulling them off better than I ever could. I am aware that I am not the most fashionable person, but have always thought I looked decent. When I walk down the street here, I feel like a train wreck. I found the most amazing store yesterday, which sells designer clothing at discount prices. I spent about two hours just taking it all in, and ending getting a few necessary items. It was magical!
This afternoon I was working out at my gym, doing ab exercises, when Jason Hoppy walked by. For those of you who don't know, he is the new husband of Bethenny Frankel (formerly on real housewives of NY). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bethenny's Getting Married, so I definitely recognized him. We did abs side by side, and I picked up some good tips!
No comments:
Post a Comment