Yesterday was a great day! After my morning routine of checking emails and getting ready, I took the 103 bus straight up 3rd avenue (bus stop is right outside of my building) and got off at 85th st (started at 48th). I prefer the bus, because I really like seeing everything that is near me. I didn't even realize that if you walk one block west of my building, you have a perfect view of the Chrysler building, only a few blocks south.
After getting off at 85th, I wandered over to Central Park. At this point, you are in the middle of the park and right next to the lake (which is actually a reservoir). I decided to stop and have the lunch that I packed right next to the water. It was such a gorgeous day, so I decided to walk the entire 1.5 miles around the water. I met some really nice German tourists, who agreed to take my picture. As I rounded the last half mile, I had my Ipod in and didn't hear the 80 year old woman running around on my right. When she screamed "EXCUSE ME" in her thick accent, I jumped and maybe even screamed. This guy walking in the other direction got a kick out of that.
When I left the park, I thought I was on the west side of town, but actually was still on the east. I'll figure this all out eventually, and I guess the best way is just to wander. I ended up on Museum Mile, and decided to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I had never been there before, and I'm not a huge museum person, but I actually loved it. My favorite wings were the Musical Instruments room in the American Wing, and of course the European Art wing. I LOVE Van Gogh, and I could look at his paintings for hours.
After leaving the museum, I met Brian and his coworker, Carlos, at the New York Sports Club. Carlos wanted to transfer his gym membership to me (so I could keep his rate), so we did the swap. I had to pay a $39 transfer fee, didn't have to sign a contract, and will be paying $60 a month for a membership to any of it's multiple locations around the city. Normal membership is $90 a month, so I was excited!
The only "rude" person I have encountered so far was on the bus on the way home from the museum. A man tapped me on the arm and told me to get out of my seat. I got pretty ticked about it, until I realized he was telling me that so a handicapped woman could sit down. Then I just felt bad. : )
Last night I went to dinner at the Tibetan kitchen with a guy named Max, who dated a very good friend of mine in Nashville while he was at Vanderbilt. He is from here, and it was nice to talk with someone who knows all about the area. We had a great time, and I got some good tips.
Today will be spent in the apartment in a pretty intense job search. I'm hoping something will come along soon, because at this point, I would really like to stay for at least a year and give it a fair shot. So far, it has been absolutely amazing!
Oh it's so fun to read your updates. Makes me feel like I'm there with you...One day maybe- at least to visit! Gotta see Central park at some point and our Georgia Peach! ;-)
ReplyDeleteLove you bud!
Hugs,
Mel